Monday, March 7, 2011

"Illegal Music - Part 2"

Yes, I am still without my precious tunes at the office, I miss them so much!

I spoke to the VP of Operations today. I told her that I understood her point of view that she feels
headphones are unprofessional looking and wondered if headphones could be allowed if we were not having any special visitors, i.e. it is not a dress up day (we wear casual business attire there, suit up for special occasions and visitors).

Unknown to me, this was an issue covered in February's monthly staff meeting which was held on a day I was not working. Someone put the idea of banning headphones into the suggestion box! Off with their head I say! The VP also told me they were written up in the minutes... minutes? Someone is keeping minutes at these things? Seems the woman who takes the minutes does not use the group set up in the mail system to send the minutes to all employees; I am now a part of that list.

I wish I would not have missed that meeting because I would have had a few constructive things to say!


Can you believe someone put the "no headphone rule" in the suggestion box, WTF? It seems certain people thought others using headphones were using them on their phones or other devices for "illegal" during business hour purposes. The people in my area record the minutes of the Board meetings and use the headphones so they can type out the minutes. Listening to the minutes and transferring them to paper is a difficult process that I am lucky enough not to have to do. Most the meetings the Board members all call in, mostly on cell phones, so that makes it more difficult to hear what was said, and to type out the minutes. I am sure when someone is transcribing minutes, they are concentrating so hard they do not hear a phone ring, do not hear someone call out their name.


Due to this "suggestion" a new rule was added to the employee handbook: headphone use is not permitted during business hours however, you can listen to a radio low.


My "neighborhood" at the office needs silence (at least one person does). I am sure a radio, regardless of tastes in music, will go over real well. If the wifi was working, I could play music on my iPod without my headphones like I do when I am there late and by myself, but I know that won't work; I can not win!


I get super bored with how slow my computer is, the silence is deafening and whispering distracts me more than normal conversation. I keep my music on low enough so that I can hear everyone around me. I answer to my name as I am taking off the headphones and answer the phone the same way. I was talking enthusiastically to a client on the phone one day and I ended up with my silence needing neighbor knocking on my desk, asking me to cut the call short. She was a tad rude but she was trying to transcribe board minutes and apologized for her approach later; it was a business call after all.


A group at the other end of the office play an iPod through speakers but no one in that area seems to mind and unfortunately, I have to stay at the desk I am at.


I don't want others who are lucky enough to have neighbors that appreciate a little background music to lose their privileges but I feel I am losing out because of one person, I believe it is only the one person, who needs absolute silence. She has been on vacation this week and I have noticed more talking going on, the volume on the talking a tad louder than usual.


I need my music, I don't know how to get it. What do I need to go on music breaks instead of smoking breaks? That won't cut it for me. Doesn't seem right for me to be penalized when I do my job, do it well and frankly, when I am enjoying my tunes I feel I get more done. The music keeps me awake, alert and happy.

Though I know the rule won't be changed, I have a meeting with my supervisor and am going to mention, in a business like way, how I can not have access to music without headphones. I am sure nothing will change, but at least I will have said my peace. Like with one of their other unbelievably stupid office policies that will someday bite them in the butt for sure. They'll be bitten not from or by me, but by their policy that breaks a cardinal rule and why does it break a rule? For convenience. Hmmm, I seem to remember a question on one of their applications that convenience is not a reason to break a different rule: interesting!

Well, I am an IT person and health care provider. I learned to keep business secrets long, long ago whatever they may involve to myself, but damn, I can't listen to music: that is sacrilegious!

Grrrrr!


Peace, love, health, hugs and hopefully access to music for you, meryl xoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment